Welcome to my blog, a space to follow my activities, discussions and stories on children and youth development. Young people equals positive Change. Oko Armah-Ghana.

Monday 20 April 2015

10 REASONS WHY AFRICA DIED 2

Lovely followers and readers, Africa continues to tell us how it all happened. Your comments and contributions have been amazing. If you remember correctly, Africa had funny ideas of dealing with her current problem, after several attempts to get in touch with Ike, who was nowhere to be found.
If you're reading about Africa for the very first time, don't worry. Get to know more about her in my previous post. You will love it Now, Grab a chair, it's about getting started. 
6.  This is a Miracle! Ike showed up. Finally, he is here to shower more love on me. He says this time, with a permanent solution. I knew Ike is my Adam and he shows it every time. Only that he went missing for a short while, but he is back to the rescue. My savior!
He brought pills that will help me flow normally. He said I will be fine and nothing will happen to me. However, I think I need to be sure.


Aba has been very good. She agrees I have to be sure, so she brought me a pregnancy test kit and all our suspicions were proved right. Aba brought yet another kit, it looks kind of funny, and it has a stick as that of an ice cream spoon. Oh Lord. An HIV test Kit? Was it that necessary? I mean how? I look just fine once I get a solution for this problem I’m good to go. I asked Aba where she got these kits, but she is adamant to tell me.  

Eeeerrrm what should I say? Maybe I should get some fresh air outside. It’s getting hot in here. Do you think an HIV test kit was necessary at that point in time? I’ll be right back. But before that… (Aba helped Africa through the testing process amicably as they wait for the results)
    
     7. My heart began to beat faster, What if I’m HIV positive? How can I deal with it? Ike is a good guy; he can’t be possibly living with HIV. No, this can never be true. Aba kept saying I can never be his only sexual partner, but he always promises I am the bone of his bones and the flesh of his flesh. How can he cheat on me? I don’t believe it. Aba kept asking many questions which I bet she knew answers to. But how could I have known? Is this what mum was saying all along? I wish mum was clearer.

Pregnancy confirmed! This is not good news for Africa. I guess she wouldn’t have been worried that much if Aba had not brought the HIV Test kit. Have you thought about where this happened? Eeerrm (scratches head) at night, in the school washroom, when all the students were in bed. Or so it was believed. Meanwhile at that very moment,

As if I saw your woman with her friend enter the washroom my guy” Ike’s friend-Osei whispered into his ears. That cannot be true. Perhaps she wasn’t feeling well. “Hope you haven’t fired the thing” Osei mocks him. Ike stood and left the dormitory in guilt and anger. Osei found a white substance on Ike’s bed.

(The test is ready-Africa quickly goes nearer to see the test)  See, it shows two lines, one on the C and the other on the T.  Do you know what that means? I asked Aba and she says it looks like I’m HIV positive? How can that be? We only did it twice, Ike doesn’t look like anyone who has an infection, it can never be true. We had sex only twice the way he wanted. Just twice. Ike is fine, he cannot be HIV positive. Something is wrong with the test, I know Aba is a good friend, but she shouldn’t have brought this test. I frankly told her.
Confusion sets in, Africa blamed Aba for the results and Aba blamed Africa for not using protection and did it Ike’s way. The blame game gets tougher than the game of thrones. Don’t forget Osei’s suspicions have been confirmed; the white substance contains a mixture of popular drugs boys give to their sexual partners to terminate pregnancies. Meanwhile, early the next morning as Africa walks with Aba together to class…

  8. I can see Osei and the other boys staring at us under the tree close to the counselor’s office. What could they be possibly talking about? I know they are jealous of me, Ike came ahead of them and proposed; now they are jealous and gossiping all on campus. Now I know boys gossip more than girls. Whatever they say, I don’t care. Wait a minute, Mr. Anum (the school counselor) is coming right behind them, I bet he could hear whatever they’re talking about. Aba, quickly let’s get to class before he sees us.
Aba just told me about a much quicker solution, either we go to one “Eno Yaa” who will solve my problem or I take a mixture of concentrated coffee, bottles and a lime juice with water. I heard it works faster. I seriously need to visit the school sick bay, at least to confirm my HIV test too, but the issue will  spread throughout this school in seconds. News spread in this school faster than Radio Ghana and I fear people will find out, and then it will get to my mother, OMG! That will be my end. I am finished, the whole church will then hear about it. That will be my end. Aah! I can hear the sound of the school siren. What is happening? I hope there is no emergency.
Did you get the name of the empress? She is the number one solution to many young girls faced with Africa’s situation. Mind you, the sound of the siren was not a joke, it had brought a big blow to all students. Mr. Anum heard Osei and the other boys talking under the tree in front of his office. They mentioned Ike “firing” one girl under. He calls the entire student body to inquire from them who the girl was, but no answer came. Ike vanished from the scene upon hearing his name. He swears to teach Osei a lesson. This is where students began whispering their never ending questions? Come to think of it, where was Africa in all of this?

As I walk to the assembly grounds, I saw Ike walk briskly to the male dormitory; he hardly gave me any attention. I can see he is infuriated by something. Then Aba also grabbed me by the hand to the washroom again. This is serious, I asked what had happened that has got everyone acting funny but Aba never answered. She quickly grinded the broken bottles and mixed with the beverage she mentioned earlier. As much as I would not want to drink, I had to; it is better to solve this issue now than everyone hears about it.


Back in the classroom….
I could hear the girls talk about a pregnant student, I don’t know why but I feel so uncomfortable hearing them talk about me. I can’t concentrate in class and I can feel pains too but I can’t hold back as much as I would want to. Aba looks very concerned but faking her gestures not to get everyone’s attention. I am just waiting for break time to go for medicine. I can’t take it any longer.
Thank God the siren finally rang for break. I thought these pain killers could reduce my pain but it’s getting worse. The next teacher will notice my pains in class, I can’t go back. Aba said we should go to Eno Yaa for a much quicker solution. I hear she is very confidential and no one would find out about it. I’m sure she can confirm my true HIV status and won’t tell anyone no matter the status. But before that, Aba is gone to grease the hands of “Ayitey Powers” (the security man) When that is done, there wouldn’t be any friction getting out of school, no need for long processes for exeat. The quicker, the better. Remember, No one must know about this.
And so it came to pass, by the power invested in “Ayitey Powers” The security man. Africa and Aba left for Eno Yaa’s trusted enclave under confidential terms elevated by the power of the few Ghana Cedi notes greasing his palm. Need I say more? Somebody had a bad day!! Ike grabbed Osei to the prefect’s court; smashed his face and left him with a broken arm. Yes, he thinks he deserves it for having a loose mouth but I thought Osei was as fit as his loose mouth, to crash Ike down; It turns out he is not as fit as he claims he is. Experience sure is the best teacher heheehe.
At Eno Yaa’s place, Africa gets anxious as she waited for Her for several minutes….
9. It is getting late Aba, are you sure Eno Yaa will finish on time? I don’t want anyone to suspect anything once they notice we are absent. We’ve been waiting for this woman for more than an hour, is that how long she takes to complete a procedure? I thought that was supposed to be a much quicker solution like you said. Aba only gazed back at me as I throw her endless questions.
 Finally, the woman is here. She ushers me in her room with her right hand and told me everything will be fine. I lied on the table and she gave me a soft drink to calm my nerves. Then she inserted something deep into my tummy down there. Now you don’t ask me where because I am in no position to answer that, I can feel pain all over my lower abdomen and private parts. She said I will be fine.
I cannot remember anything that happened afterwards as if I slept for a while or something like that. As I gain consciousness, stains of blood was all over the place and I can see her tools. I think I have bled profusely but she managed it. It is late and I am very weak; don’t think I can make it back to school. As usual, Aba helped as we walked slowed back to school. I know the rest of the girls and the entire school will be asking of Africa. I care less of what they say. Africa has troubles of her own to deal with, don’t I?
Oh yes! Africa has her own troubles to deal with, but only if Africa knows what the future holds for her, she would have prepared to handle the crisis ahead. Let’s leave Africa and her issues to herself. Back in the school, Ike and Osei are summoned to the disciplinary committee (which includes the headmaster) for assaulting his fellow mate. He stood there without an answer, bowing his head in guilt with his mouth left ajar. Can you believe this? Osei in his dilapidated condition narrated the story from Adam. Have you noticed Osei’s loose mouth can run faster than the roadrunner? Well, now you know!!
The headmaster was shocked and inquired more from him. Osei hinted that Africa is at the centre of every incident since she enjoys all donor support from Ike. Money for provisions, Luxury and all that comes with it. Don’t forget the most important one—Love and free emotional support through her tough times.  Africa has indeed enjoyed some good times. Forget about her features because it does not reflect in her at all. So the headmaster decided to pay a courtesy call to all the parents of students involved before he meets Aba and Africa. Both boys were dismissed and summoned to the committee the following day. Watch out, it seems Africa and Aba are approaching the school gate…
 10. Ayitey Powers-The security man opens the school gate but with a sad face, I wonder why he looks at us as if we are dummies? All he cares about is money. We decided to pass the other road straight to the girl’s dormitory to avoid being noticed. As we walked slowly, Ayitey Powers murmured “sane eba!!” meaning, there is trouble. I turned and looked at him. Had the headmaster found out? What about the housemistress? I began to think. Well, Ayitey-Powers is the least of person I should listen to, after all he’s equally a gossip like all other students broadcasting 24/7 like Radio Ghana.
We sneaked calmly and I managed to climb my bed to have a peaceful rest. I feel pains all over my body and I can’t help but shiver, although bleeding has reduced, I know the sanitary towel will take care of that till the next morning. All I need is a good sleep, I will be fine. Aba said. 

I am Francis Oko Armah, you know what I do best. As I speak to you now. I have been waiting for 2 hours to meet the headmaster of a senior high school to schedule a programme to educate his students.
I know he has intentionally prolonged that meeting, so he would deny us this time, hmmm! Ghanaian Headmasters and their shenanigans, everyone will hear about them. What kind of meeting at all will last this long. I mean how? Just then a bereaved woman came out of the door. I looked on as she cried in tears. Two other boys and a girl followed him, one boy with bruises and a bandaged arm. Other adults whom I believed are their parents and other teachers followed with sad faces shaking their heads. I wonder what had happened.
NEXT!! The headmaster called me for the meeting. Per the mood in which the people left his office, I thought he would refuse me so I prayed seriously in tongues so God can answer my prayers. He shouldn’t refuse us this time; we have to educate the children.
I sat down with my broad smile as he welcomed me.  To my surprise, he did not say much, he had reviewed our letters and knows exactly our education on sexual and reproductive health means. He confessed that he did not approve of it because he had a lot of reasons based on religious and cultural doctrines. He narrated to me Africa’s story and described why he had kept long in the previous meeting.
Africa was found dead the next morning soaked in blood. Her mum came to meet her child’s corpse before she was taken to the morgue. Osei was the young boy in bruises and a bandaged arm and Ike was the one walking next to him with Aba, Africa’s friend. Both parents of the boys and teachers in the disciplinary committee followed later. After narrating the story, I suggested the headmaster encourages the boys and Aba to go for HIV counseling and testing. After explaining the concept and modules for our training, He admitted that if he had allowed us to educate and train his students, Africa’s life would have been saved. He added that Africa’s mum felt guilty for not communicating clearly enough to her child and kept crying and holding on to her religious beliefs and personal values. What’s holding on to this value if she cannot save her own daughter’s life?

The headmaster insisted all his staff should be educated and not only the school counselor so that when such serious sexual and reproductive health concerns come up, they will address it. This is how I heard about Africa’s story. Although I never met Africa, I met her mother later and she volunteered to educate young people on Sexual and Reproductive Health. Africa’s story opened doors for my team to educate the students and STAFF of her school. Later her mother joined us in the campaign. Africa is indeed a HERO. 
NOTE!! All characters are completely fictional, actions performed by characters do not truly reflect people in real lives who may bear such identities.

2 comments:

  1. Thumbs up to you. Well written and well described. This is my first visit to your blog. You really expressed all things clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the feedback. More stories from real experiences of teenage mothers coming soon.

    ReplyDelete