Welcome to my blog, a space to follow my activities, discussions and stories on children and youth development. Young people equals positive Change. Oko Armah-Ghana.

Monday 23 March 2015

10 REASONS WHY AFRICA DIED!!

Meet Africa, a 16-year-old student in High School. Africa, hopes of becoming one of the best statisticians in the world. She loves to solve maths. She is her mummy’s favourite daughter and loves anything pink. Known as a strong young girl, at this point in her life, things turn around.

 1.  Mummy told me speaking to boys will only make me pregnant. She said they are dangerous and that I should be very careful of them. I spoke to Kwame and Jojo in class, yet that did not get pregnant? My friends were right and they proved it. Boys are not bad after all; mummy must be hiding something. I don’t think I can trust her. Aba’s group is the best. They were right, after all.

Africa trusted her friends and not her mother.
Her friends are not authoritarian, they communicate in same language and terms, not like her mum. (Mrs. Asante) Friends are easy to rely on. Any information she asks, Aba and her group easily give it out. Text, WhatsApp, Viber, you name it. The message gets to Africa in seconds, anytime!

2. See how boys on campus gaze at my steps? Twist them legs like Tyra banks, Oh yeah I’m a supermodel. I love the attention. Aba’s group thought me how to walk, twerk, blink that eyes to draw guys’ attention and oh, Aba will rehearse the lines with you. “I will think about it” Ssshh that is when he shows interest in you. You know the mannerisms; girls have to play innocent for some time. Mummy is too old to teach me this.

I knew it! Mum was hiding many things from me. Exploring one’s sexuality couldn’t have been more fun, but wait, where at all does Aba get all her information from and how? Well, no one to ask. I wish I could find information on the radio or TV shows, even that I hear it is strictly for adults.  Friends say the internet is the best. Wow! Super cool!! This is really fun. She continues to explore

The relationship between Africa and her mum grows wider. She relies more on her friends.
She explores more about her body to fit into Aba’s group. It looks like Friends fed her more than she can actually take; well….

3. Things happen too fast I guess, I have not tasted the forbidden fruit, Aba and all the others say SEX is fun but mum once told me it is not a pleasant experience for a young girl my age. As much as the hospital is for sick people, I wish can speak to that woman with the black belt, who works at the clinic, she always speaks badly about us in the area. I know Ike loves me too; he wouldn’t harm me in any way!  Which girl on campus would not give her all to be in Aba’s group?

   Africa takes it to the next level; the reasons are obvious. 

4. Ike gets on top of the game ahead of the rest of the boys; he’s got his shot for a couple of months. He has it all, just like his dad, he’s got a woman too. He’s a BIG MAN! He’s got to think like a man, act like one and do what MEN do. Wooohooo!

Ike is the cutest guy, oh yes! I can see myself walk down the aisle with him. He says he loves me and I can feel it. Why wait for the future when I have my Adam right in the present. I’ve got to prove the love I have for him. Just the way he wants it. (Chuckles)

Now the superman appears in the picture... did you get his name?
 Young people call it love, but reality has its own terms. The baseline still remains…

     5. The symptoms are clear, Aba is furious with me. She insisted I go their way and alluded that was safer, but Ike is the ONE. We did it His way. Besides he assures me he will never leave my side. We don’t need to pretend. Do we? Hey, Mum should not know about this or I will be expelled from the house. Oh my! The Ministers at church should never hear about this, I can’t go through the experiences other girls go through. Sit at the back row at church? Then everyone knows I have frowned upon the doctrines of the church? That makes me unholy. No. Not me!

Ike is nowhere to be found; His friends say they don’t know me. In this era of social media, I should have recorded some form of evidence all along, only if I had known.
More seriously I’ve got to do something.


Africa has totally forgotten about her final year exams as tension mounts on her. Her world is about crushing? She can’t think straight. Some funny idea comes to her mind. Inasmuch as she would want to share her story with someone, the school counselor would not be her last option to seek counsel from.  Find out in the next post.

At this point in time?  If you were Africa, what will you do? Let’s hear in the comment box now.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you boss. what would you want Africa to do?

      Delete
  2. ooo poor Africa....there is still a friend called "SECOND CHANCE"...She should befriend this great dude and get her life back on track...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Africa should seek councle no matter what, because there is always somebody there to listen and give the right advise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dump Ike, seek counseling, move on. Ike is a philanderer up to no good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cnt wait to find out the next post on africa
    i think she should talk to someone in her church which i think is the best thing to do she can talk to maybe pastor wife

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what happens when our mothers hide the truth of our sexual and reproductive health from us...we would surely get every information from our friends...Africa should just forget about Ike and concentrate on her studies..after school boys are just a bonus...from a sister to a sister......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one. This is real. Parent- child communication very important. Let's give our kids theorist information in other to win their trust! On point Oko!

    ReplyDelete