Welcome to my blog, a space to follow my activities, discussions and stories on children and youth development. Young people equals positive Change. Oko Armah-Ghana.

Sunday 13 April 2014

An Official introduction to all readers.


I warmly welcome you to my blog, would have been a great deal if you know the person behind the posts you will be reading and following and who he is. Don’t you think?  My name is Francis Oko Armah, called by family, friends, colleagues as OKO ARMAH. My name OKO simply mean I am a twin.


A native of TESHIE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teshie one of the coastal towns in Accra Ghana along the GOLF OF GUINEA. I speak considerably good English, just un peu de Francais y un poco de EspaƱol through my own exploits and learning from school. Enjoy good traditional Ghanaian music, love dancehall rythmz, Ghanaian Highlife tunes, and Gospel tunes across the world. My all time favourite  is Banku and Okro stew with some crabs, and fish (just Google and you’ll know what I’m talking about) but A tempting jollof rice always gets my attention. I love talking to create change, writing, reading, volunteering  and love to have a good sleep. However, exchanging cultures with diverse people all over the world has been fun and educative so far and I’m still exploring people!! Now that’s enough about me, let’s get into what I do. Hope I did not skip the part where I love to work, play and be around children. They inspire me.
 I strongly believe that there is a world fit for children, a world where despite the challenges, children can rise and sail through above all odds knowing that it is possible where ever they find themselves. I agree each and every child is different, unique and has his/her own life and future to live for BUT  If for nothing at all, NO CHILD should ever experience what I went through as a child. (Which will be in my book sometime soon) That is why I am very particular in what I do, advocating on issues that affect them and help best solve challenges these young ones go through. That is MY MISSION.
To successfully carry out this mission, I have realized that many children from good homes with the right support from families and systems, successfully journey life and live to achieve their dreams and ambitions. However, the story remains somewhat different from children who come from a totally different setting. Does it necessarily have to occur that way? Name the issues, and I will narrate in my own experience how it affects children especially on the African continent. 
For that change I wish to see in my community, country and continent to happen in affecting other lives globally, I have to DREAM it, BE that change and LIVE it. These three processes does not come easy as writing them, especially when you find yourself at wrong place surrounded by the wrong people. That is why I joined the CHILDREN AND YOUTH IN BROADCASTING-CURIOUS MINDS, a group full of young leaders and change makers creating change all over the world. Among the various developmental issues on the group’s MENU, General Health, Education and Reproductive health and Rights, all the other issues under the MDGs, and other major global movements are equally of great interest.

As far as we keep talking about the issues, and create the awareness, the responsible people will have no choice than to act fast because we are watching. That’s the power we have as young people today.Currently leading reproductive health campaigns nationwide and will be sharing my experience on my campaigns in my next blog. YOUNG PEOPLE ARE THE CHANGE MAKERS! keep your comments coming.



2 comments:

  1. nice blog. you are 100% right that "young people are the change makers!"

    i totally agree. reminds me of the comment i wrote in response to Nadia's blog:

    "that is to say, one of the reasons that youth entrepreneurship does not explode in Ghana via a social chain reaction is that older demographics actively work to prevent it. this is rational from a limited perspective: better to have youth work for you (for low cost), or not to work at all, then to work for themselves and/or potentially become the competition."

    http://nadiazeine.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/ghana-schools-get-real-education-sector-in-ghana-causing-youth-unemployment/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Yaw. I have seen how strong the change makers can be as a competition to them, once they know you've got your head straight on, they tread very cautiously but if you're young and have not found your way, real purpose as a true son of the land and a change maker, then they'll woo you up and down less than you're worth. I see this in elections and I feel like crying. Young people being used for all sort of things.
      It is up to us now to keep blowing the whistle so the others can follow. Big ups YAW.

      Delete